"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy" Proverbs 31:8-9

Monday 23 May 2011

Review - Under the Overpass Book

Under The Overpass - Book


My rating: 5 stars

Two young guys- Mike and Sam, take on a social experiment, by choosing to spend about 8 months living on the streets in a number of different cities in America.

They wrote about the churches they visited, and the 'Christians' they met- and how they treated them. I realised I would fit in this category. At one stage, one of the guy's shoes were falling apart, they even mentioned it to people they met in a church, and nobody offered to buy him new shoes. When I read this, I realised I never want to be a person who doesn't offer to help someone, and make a effort, no matter who they are.

After reading this, now when I see the homeless, instead of looking away, and ignoring them, I will do the opposite – a smile, a simple 'hello' or buy them something to eat. This book encouraged me to change my view on homeless men and women. I wasn't really interested in learning about the homeless, but it was one of the best books I have read.